TOWARD A FEDERAL INFRASTRUCTURE STRATEGY: ISSUES AND OPTIONS
This report documents the progress of an interagency initiative to develop a federal infrastructure strategy through a partnership including the Department of the Army, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Energy, other federal agencies, state and local governments, and the private sector. Emphasis is placed on planning, design, finance, construction, operation, and maintenance. The federal agency representatives brought together in this effort to develop a new strategy advised working toward specific actions to carry out the recommendations contained in previous reports rather than producing a new study. These reports focused largely on transportation facilities (highways, transit, airports, airways, waterways, and harbors); water resources, supplies, and quality; and the management of solid and hazardous wastes. The approach taken was to consult with representatives of governments and the private sector in a series of workshops convened by the Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations (ACIR). The consultations were guided by a federal interagency work group. Based on the consultations, a broad consensus emerged around five key infrastructure issue areas that should be addressed by the federal government: (1) rationales for federal investment, (2) regulations, (3) technology, (4) financing, and (5) management. Following a short introduction, the sections of this report briefly set the current infrastructure debate in historical context, describe the process, still ongoing, that brought the different groups together, examine the five infrastructure issues identified above, and note opportunities for action. The report ends with a call for federal agencies to pursue these opportunities together, in cooperation with state and local governments and the private sector.
Advisory Commission on Intergovernmental Relations800 K Street, NW, South Building, Suite 450
Washington, DC United States 20575
- Publication Date: 1992-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Airports; Airways; Financing; Governments; Harbors; Hazardous wastes; Highways; Infrastructure; Inland waterways; Investments; Management; Private enterprise; Public transit; Regulations; Solid wastes; Strategic planning; Technology; Waste management; Water quality; Water resources; Workshops
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Water supply
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Highways; Law; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00730198
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ACIR Report A-120
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 10 1997 12:00AM