TRANS-EUROPEAN NETWORKS: PROSPECTS FOR INTELLIGENT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS
The European Union (EU) needs an integrated transport system that serves the needs of business and of individuals, with easy connections between its different parts. The development of this system requires investment in trans-European infrastructures to ensure that passenger and freight transport across the Union and beyond is fast, reliable and safe. High on the agenda must be systems and methods of transport that will reduce congestion and pollution and help to achieve a better, cleaner environment. ECORTIS and DEFI coordinate the implementation of radio messages in the driver's own language for events occurring on the selected route using RDS-TMC (Radio Data System - Traffic Message Channel). The main objectives of the project are to deal with political and strategic issues. EDEN deals with the networking of Traffic Information Centers (TIC) as the backbone for cross-border exchange of traffic and travel information across Europe. CENTRICO coordinates the implementation plans for traffic management and user information services for centrally located countries in Europe. SERTI coordinates the implementation of traffic management and user information services covering the southern region of Europe. VIKING will coordinate national and bi-lateral traffic management and ITS implementation projects in the northern part of Europe, and CORVETTE will coordinate regional, bi-lateral and multi-lateral ITS implementation projects in the Alpine area covering Austria, parts of Germany (Bavaria) and the northern part of Italy.
- The information provided is presented in a packet containing various and supplemental brochures. The packet, "Trans-European Networks: Prospects for Intelligent Transport Systems" is available from The European Commission.
European CommissionDirectorate General Information Society, Rue de la Loi 200
Brussels, Belgium 1049
- Publication Date: 1996
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: Driver information systems; Highway traffic control; Radio navigation; Technology
- Identifier Terms: European Commission
- Geographic Terms: Europe; European Union countries
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I70: Traffic and Transport;
- Accession Number: 00730126
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 6 1997 12:00AM