THERMAL MEASUREMENTS OF COMMUTER RAIL WHEELS UNDER REVENUE SERVICE CONDITIONS
The report documents the test objective, procedure, and equipment used during the execution of the New Jersey Transit Operational Field Test conducted under the FRA Cracked Wheel Investigation. The report also includes a presentation of all data gathered during the test procedure and illustrates the general trends and characteristics of the data as witnessed during acquisition. Included are technical insights into the development of the unique equipment used in the test and complete thermal measurement data sets. The objective of the field test was to acquire empirical thermal data on commuter railroad wheels during stop braking procedures. The test was conducted using New Jersey Transit Rail Operation's revenue track, primarily on the Northeast Corridor, as well as Arrow III rail cars, train crews, and engineering support.
- Record URL:
- Color illustrations reproduced in black and white. Sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration, Washington, DC.
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
- Stuart, C D
- Publication Date: 1993-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 151 p.
- TRT Terms: Inspection; Temperature measurement; Thermal stresses; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Wheel inspection; Wheel thermal stresses
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00729911
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-FR-94-01,, FRA-ORD-93-19
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 16 1997 12:00AM