STUDY OF BRAKING OPERATIONS USING A LOCOMOTIVE SIMULATOR
The Volpe Center is currently supporting the Federal Railroad Administration in developing revisions to the safety standards for train air brakes. As part of the program, one of the tasks was to evaluate the effects certain operating parameters have as the performance and response of braking operations. A Locomotive Engineer Training Simulator (LETS) was used to perform a series of braking operations with different combinations of operating parameters. A log which documented the results was generated for each train simulation. After the simulations were completed, results from the log were reorganized and translated into plots for analysis. This report summarizes the results from the analysis.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration. Washington, DC., Office of Research and Development.
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Tang, Y H
- Publication Date: 1994-3
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Brakes; Railroad simulators; Safety; Standards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Safety standards
- Old TRIS Terms: Braking systems
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00729895
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-VNTSC-FRA-94-2,, DOT-FRA-ORD-94-16
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 12 1997 12:00AM