CRACK PROPAGATION PROPERTIES AND FRACTURE TOUGHNESS IN RAIL STEEL. A LITERATURE REVIEW
The influence of heat treatment and composition on the fatigue and fracture properties of rail steel has been reviewed. Effect of residual stresses due to heat treatment and straightening operations, microstructural features and deoxidation were considered. Generally through hardened and head hardened rail steel exhibit superior crack propagation and fracture properties compared to as-rolled variants.
Swedish Institute for Metals ResearchStockholm, Sweden
- Oelund, P
- Publication Date: 1994-10
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete hardening; Cracking; Fracture properties; Hardness; Materials selection; Rail steel; Steel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack propagation
- Old TRIS Terms: Rail steel metallurgy; Steel selection
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00729879
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: IM-3183
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 9 1997 12:00AM