BARGE TRAFFIC ON KENTUCKY RIVERS
This report investigates barge traffic on all navigable waterways in Kentucky. The report provides the data necessary to develop the risk assessment procedures for Kentucky vessel impact design problems in accordance with the ASHTO Guide Specification and Commentary for Vessel Collision Design of Highway Bridges design method II. A computer program was written to process the database and calculate the probability based length, width, a capacity for each barge category. A second computer program was written to calculate the probability based number of barges in a flotilla column and row, and subsequently categorize the flotilla based upon the barge length and width categories designated by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The equivalent static impact loads were then calculated using the probability based flotilla sizes and tonnages.
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, Frankfort.
University of Kentucky, LexingtonKentucky Transportation Center
College of Engineering, 176 Raymond Building
Lexington, KY United States 40506-0281
- Whitney, M W
- Harik, I E
- Griffin, J J
- Allen, D L
- Publication Date: 1994-7
- Pagination: 292 p.
- TRT Terms: Barges; Bridge design; Bridges; Inland waterways; Navigation systems; Risk assessment; Rivers; Ship pilotage; Structural design; Vehicle design; Water traffic
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge design; Barge traffic; River navigation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00729878
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: KTC-94-15
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 6 1997 12:00AM