HIGHWAY COST ALLOCATION UPDATE, 1996. TECHNICAL REPORT
The update of the highway cost allocation study is the seventh in recent series begun in the early 1980s by the Kentucky Transportation Center. The primary objectives were to determine the level of revenue contribution and cost responsibility for each class of highway user. The base year of the study is FY 1995: the most recent time period for which revenue and cost data were available. Highway use or travel activity data for calendar year 1994 was the most recent available. A basic premise of the study was that only state maintained highways were of interest in recouping the costs expended to construct and maintain the system. In 1994, the system comprised 27,300 miles (43,680km)of the 72,900 miles (116,640km) of roads and streets while accommodating 84% of all travel. There were 17 highway user classes with which revenue contribution and cost responsibility were associated. Primary sources of revenue included fuel taxes, registration fees, usage taxes, tolls, and other motor carrier and federal taxes and fees. Primary expenditure categories included construction, maintenance and traffic, administration, and enforcement. Construction expenditures were subdivided into planning and design; right of way; utility relocation grade, drain, and surfacing; resurfacing; bridges; and miscellaneous.
- Record URL:
- See also PB95-253225 and Overview and Summary, PB96-196431.
University of Kentucky, LexingtonKentucky Transportation Center
College of Engineering, 176 Raymond Building
Lexington, KY United States 40506-0281
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet200 Mero Street
Frankfort, KY United States 40622
- Deacon, J A
- Pigman, J G
- Publication Date: 1996-1
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost allocation; Costs; Financial responsibility; Fuels; Highways; Program management; Revenues; Taxation; Tolls
- Uncontrolled Terms: User costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Cost responsibility
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Finance; Highways; Law; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00729872
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Kentucky, Lexington
- Report/Paper Numbers: KTC-96-1
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 6 1997 12:00AM