COUNTRY LIFELINES - GOOD PRACTICE IN RURAL TRANSPORT
This guide describes 15 different transport schemes, which provide successful though sometimes unusual public transport schemes to rural communities in England and, in one case, Scotland. Most of the schemes receive some support from the Rural Development Commission, a Government agency concerned with the well-being of people who live and work in rural England. Each scheme shows special qualities and good business practices, which could be adopted by other communities, local authorities, or commercial firms aiming to meet local rural transport needs. For each of the schemes, benefits, potential pitfalls, and key success factors have been given. Some of the schemes use various forms of transport effectively and imaginatively, and pay individual attention to the needs of their specific clienteles, whether young or old. In some other cases, communities collaborate to promote and establish transport schemes that match their local needs. Some of the schemes coordinate several different services, to make the best use of limited resources. The schemes' most crucial common element is a belief in exceptional customer service or care. The modes covered by the schemes are: bus, minibus, taxibus, taxi, community car, and rail. Three schemes use coordinated transport approaches, and one uses dial-a-ride.
RURAL DEVELOPMENT COMMISSION141 CASTLE STREET
SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE United Kingdom SP1 3TP
- Publication Date: 1996-2
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Buses; Economic efficiency; Federal government; Financing; Local government agencies; Minibuses; Organizations; Paratransit services; Population; Public transit; Quality control; Railroad transportation; Rural areas; Taxicabs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Quality
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1272: Bus; 1243: Car; 1157: Dial a ride; 5911: Efficiency; 244: Financing; 183: Government (national); 192: Local authority; 9057: Organization (association); 335: Population; 744: Public transport; 9063: Quality; 1173: Rail bound transport; 328: Rural area; 1148: Taxi; 8119: United kingdom
- Subject Areas: Economics; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00729798
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Dec 26 1996 12:00AM