VERTIS GRAND DESIGN - A BASIC PLAN FOR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF INTELLIGENT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS (ITS)
The Vehicle, Road and Traffic Intelligence Society (VERTIS) in Japan set up a working group, to establish a basic plan for promoting research and development (R&D) of intelligent transport systems (ITS) as a national project. This document is the first draft of the working group's report. It first presents the background, issues, and challenges of ITS development, in terms of modern automotive transport, and finds that Japan's ITS activities are behind those of Europe and the USA, especially in the approach and size of R&D. Japan is now strongly promoting ITS R&D. The report attempts to prioritise various existing ITS systems, and identifies some key ITS systems, suitable to Japanese society, whose development can be expected within 30 years. The working group decided that Japan's principal ITS goals during the next 30 years are to: (1) reduce road traffic fatalities by 50%; (2) reduce fuel consumption by 15%; (3) reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 15%; and (4) reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides in the metropolitan area by 30%. To obtain a system to meet these targets, the effectiveness of each ITS system was estimated, then the total effect of the combined systems was calculated. A timetable of ITS R&D priorities for the next 30 years was drawn up.
VEHICLE, ROAD AND TRAFFIC INTELLIGENCE SOCIETY (VERTIS)3-18 CHOME, KUDAN-MINAMI
CHIYODA-KU, TOKYO Japan 102
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Automation; Crash rates; Development; Fatalities; Forecasting; Fuel consumption; Information processing; Intelligent transportation systems; Pollutants; Strategic planning; Telecommunications; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Decreases
- Geographic Terms: Europe; Japan; United States
- ITRD Terms: 1612: Accident rate; 3882: Automatic; 8531: Case study; 8655: Data processing; 9009: Decrease; 9013: Development; 2442: Emission; 8034: Europe; 1602: Fatality; 132: Forecast; 232: Fuel consumption; 8053: Japan; 141: Priority (gen); 9117: Telecommunication; 1155: Transport; 8122: Usa
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00729791
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Dec 26 1996 12:00AM