TELEMATICS (ITS) IN EUROPE: MEETING THE CHALLENGE TOGETHER
Telematics brings together the new information and communication technologies. Road Transport Telematics (RTT) - also known as Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) - has immense potential to make travel by road easier, more efficient and safer. This publication describes RTT in the 15 member states of the European Union. The following topics are discussed and elucidated by examples: building blocks for Europe's road transport telematics infrastructure; traffic management; travel and traffic information; electronic payment and tolling; freight transport operation; public transport operation; safety; and future projects.
Commission of the European CommunitiesRue de la Loi 200
Brussels, B-1049, Belgium
- Publication Date: 1996
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated toll collection; Driver information systems; Freight handling; Freight transportation; Highway safety; Highway traffic control; Infrastructure; Intelligent transportation systems; Public transit; Technological innovations; Telematics; Traffic safety; Vehicle safety
- Identifier Terms: European Commission
- Geographic Terms: Europe; European Union countries
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Freight operations
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00728829
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 26 1996 12:00AM