AIMSE: THE MOTORWAY PROJECT FOR THE EUROPE OF TOMORROW
The International Road Federation (IRF) proposes to establish an integrated and intelligent motorway system in Europe, called the AIMSE (Advanced Integrated Motorway System in Europe) project. The essential characteristic of the new approach to transportation problems proposed in AIMSE is to start with a global evaluation of realistic needs in the long term. These needs must be estimated for the whole continent without preconceived notions, instead of trying to justify predetermined projects linked to sectorial or regional interests. Such a strategic, unbiased and global approach shows the road as the prime instrument for the movement of goods and people as a result of its flexibility and convenience to users. Furthermore, technological and ecological developments will lead to intelligent or "smart" motorways, thus enhancing the inherent value not only of roads but of all infrastructure to society. This report is intended to serve as a guide - either for direct use or for constructive criticism - to all who are interested in Europe's future and its transport systems. It is presented in the following nine chapters: (1) European Development in the Next Twenty Years; (2) Accelerated Growth in Trade and Transportation; (3) The Prime Role of the Road; (4) The Ideal Motorway Network Infrastructure for Europe; (5) The Most Important Gaps to Be Filled; (6) A Major European Project That Is Profitable and Can Be Financed; (7) The Integration of the Motorway Infrastructure into Its Industrial, Human and Ecological Environment; (8) Integrated and Coordinated Network Management; and (9) A Service Infrastructure with Unprecedented Levels of Comfort and Security. A list of acronyms and a glossary are provided.
Washington, DC United States 20024
- Publication Date: 1990-10
- Features: Figures; Photos;
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated highways; Comfort; Development; Economic growth; Environmental impacts; Financing; Highway travel; Infrastructure; International; Needs assessment; Profitability; Safety; Security
- Identifier Terms: Advanced Integrated Motorway System in Europe
- Uncontrolled Terms: Road networks
- Geographic Terms: Europe
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00728474
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 22 1996 12:00AM