HIGHWAY OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE PROGRAM REVIEW FINAL REPORT
The Highway Operations and Maintenance Program Review was one of six program reviews the Ontario Ministry of Transportation agreed to undertake in 1993 at the request of the Treasury Board. The primary objective of these reviews was to identify alternative ways to deliver the programs in a satisfactory manner with fewer resources. The six reviews were to identify $100 million in base allocation reductions to be effective in 1994. More specifically, the Highway Operations and Maintenance Review was to undertake a fundamental review of the entire highway operations and maintenance activity and how it was delivered. The two major components were an asset examination and a review of alternative delivery mechanisms. A package of restructuring and efficiency initiatives was developed, with input from the program review team based on analysis undertaken to that date, to meet the Operations Division's target. The changes implemented in Mid-1993 included amalgamating districts (moving from 18 to 12 plus 5 satellite offices), rationalizing/consolidating patrols, creating superpatrols, consolidating 7 sign manufacturing shops to four with a plan to go to 2, closing three garages, rationalizing the service crew organizational structures in some areas, reviewing and reducing, where appropriate, equipment and materials usage (particularly salt), and reducing the number of administrative positions in each district.
Ontario Ministry of Transportation1201 Wilson Avenue
Downsview, Ontario Canada M3M 1J8
- Publication Date: 1994-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 87 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic efficiency; Expenditures; Highway maintenance; Highway operations; Program management; Restructuring
- Identifier Terms: Ontario Ministry of Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Program review; Reduction (Decrease)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; I60: Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 00727364
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 29 1996 12:00AM