THE EVALUATION AND MONITORING OF TRANSPORTATION CONTROL MEASURES. FINAL REPORT
The mandates of the Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAAs) and Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) Improvement Program require the evaluation and monitoring of transportation control measure (TCM) emission impacts. The objective of the research documented herein was to investigate issues related to the evaluation and monitoring of TCM impacts. Researchers reviewed the advantages and limitations of TCM evaluation methods currently available, and identified two critical issues which influence their capabilities and accuracy. The TCM evaluation methods reviewed include the use of comparative empirical data, network-based models, and sketch-planning tools. The structure of TCM monitoring programs was also studied. Monitoring programs are presented for four TCMs: transit plazas, intersection improvements, ridesharing, and park-and-ride lots. In general, researchers concluded that the TCM evaluation methods currently available require improvement, but that sketch-planning tools hold the most promise given the amount of input data available. None of the methods available can evaluate all the TCMs. This fact, and the difficulties with TCM participation rate estimation and TCM program evaluation, limits the ability to evaluate the regional impacts of TCMs. This study also concluded that more TCM information needs to be collected, and that properly designed TCM monitoring programs are essential to meet legislative mandates and improve current TCM evaluation methods. Recommendations include new and/or improved TCM evaluation methods and the initiation of a standardized data collection and monitoring program.
- Research study title: Air Pollution Implications of Urban Transportation Investment Decisions.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Knapp, K K
- Rao, K S
- Crawford, J A
- Krammes, R A
- Publication Date: 1995-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Air quality; Air quality management; Data collection; Empirical methods; Environmental impacts; Evaluation; Improvements; Intersections; Monitoring; Network analysis (Planning); Park and ride; Pollutants; Recommendations; Ridesharing; Simulation; Sketch planning; Standardization; Transit malls; Travel demand management
- Old TRIS Terms: Sketch planning techniques; Transit plazas
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00727352
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-96/1279-10F, Res Rept 1279-10F, TTI: 0-1279
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1279
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Oct 24 2001 12:00AM