ON LINE REAL-TIME MEASUREMENT AND CONTROL OF AGGREGATE GRADATION IN ASPHALT PLANTS
This Innovations Deserving Exploratory Analysis (IDEA) project developed and evaluated a prototype system, from bench-scale tests to actual field trials, to continuously measure and control, on line and in real-time every 5 minutes, aggregate gradation in hot-mix asphalt plants. By applying this novel technology, asphalt plants are expected to (a) deliver an asphalt product that complies with the job mix formula, (b) run more uniformly with fewer dead periods, (c) require less asphalt and aggregates for the same throughput, and (d) produce better pavement with a higher performance-to-cost ratio. This IDEA project was structured in two phases. Phase 1 consisted of determining the feasibility of the concept in a laboratory prototype setup and a pilot-scale arrangement. During Phase 2, the implementation and testing of a full-scale prototype was conducted at Staker Company in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Record URL:
- This NCHRP-IDEA investigation was conducted by Felix ALBA Consultants Inc., Murray, Utah. The original project title was Development of a Full-scale Prototype for On-Line Real-Time Measurement and Control of Aggregate Gradation in Asphalt Plants.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Alba, F
- Publication Date: 1995-3
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- NCHRP-IDEA Program Project Final Report
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Aggregate gradation; Asphalt plants; Automation; Benefits; Hot mix asphalt; Prototype tests; Prototypes; Technological innovations
- Identifier Terms: National Cooperative Highway Research Program
- Old TRIS Terms: Control systems automation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Materials; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials;
- Accession Number: 00727260
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NCHRP-IDEA Project 001
- Contract Numbers: NCHRP-92-ID001
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Oct 11 2001 12:00AM