AN INNOVATIVE LAMP-POST DESIGN OF 1916 - A FINE EXAMPLE OF URBAN HERITAGE IN OTTAWA

In 1916, the Ottawa Improvement Commission, now the National Capital Commission, installed a concrete lamp-post to provide electric lighting along the Federal Driveway as part of its mandate to landscape and maintain parks and parkways in the capital. The design is highly significant both for its innovative use of materials and for its visual impact on the landscape. The lamp-post today is a heritage landmark, representative of urban reform introduced in the early 20th century under the influence of the City Beautiful movement. (A)

  • Availability:
  • Corporate Authors:

    National Research Council of Canada

    1200 Montreal Road
    Ottawa, Ontario  Canada  K1A 0R6
  • Authors:
    • COLLINS, J B
  • Publication Date: 1993-10

Language

  • English

Media Info

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00726390
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transportation Association of Canada
  • Files: ITRD, ATRI
  • Created Date: Oct 28 1996 12:00AM