WASTE MATERIALS AS POTENTIAL REPLACEMENTS FOR HIGHWAY AGGREGATES
This report documents and presents the results of a comprehensive survey of the technical and economic optential for making use of waste materials as alternative aggregates in highway construction and maintenance. The survey included an assessment of the availability of conventional aggregates to determine where competitive opportunities for the introduction of new materials are most likely to exist. Information was obtained from over 300 relevant documents and supplemented by numerous contacts with agencies and individuals in both the highway and waste management fields. Of an initial group of 34 waste products that were examined for use in highway aggregate production, 30 were judged to have some promise. Technical, economic, and environmental evaluations that were made through a system developed on the project showed iron blast furnace slag; fly ash, bottom ash and boiler slag from electric power generating stations; reclaimed paving material; and anthracite coal mine refuse to offer the best opportunities for further development.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00775614
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- MILLER, R H
- COLLINS, R J
- Publication Date: 1976
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 94 p.
- NCHRP Report
- Issue Number: 166
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0077-5614
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Bottom ash; Economic factors; Fly ash; Highway maintenance; Reclaimed rubber; Road construction; Slag; Waste products
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic considerations; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Construction; Economics; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00138588
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Sep 4 1976 12:00AM