DIMENSIONAL ANALYSIS AND THE CONCEPT OF NATURAL UNITS IN ENGINEERING
The monograph presents an introduction to dimensional analysis, a subject of profound significance for all quantitative sciences and engineering. Although the purely formal mathematical relations of dimensional analysis can be found in many texts, the present analysis, while still resonably brief, goes well beyond the usual textbook treatment. It develops a unified theory of physical measurements which involves several novel and original features. Engineering applications of the theory are illustrated by various examples involving mainly fluid flow, turbomachinery, propellers, and related devices. In broad classes of propellers, lifting rotors, and air turbines, merely by nondimensionalizing the well known momentum/energy relations in an unconventional but systematic manner.
Naval Postgraduate School1 University Circle
Monterey, CA United States 93943
- Gawain, T H
- Publication Date: 1972-3
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Fluid dynamics; Propellers; Thermodynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Propeller theory
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00034875
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NPS-57Gn72031A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1973 12:00AM