TRANSPORTATION HISTORY AND TRB'S 75TH ANNIVERSARY
The Transportation Research Board celebrated its 75th Anniversary during 1995, and a number of special sessions and events commemorating the anniversary were held at the 75th Annual Meeting in January 1996. One of the special sessions, "Transportation's Rich History and Challenging Future", was sponsored by the TRB Executive Committee. Two papers were developed for the session, one on moving people and one on moving goods, to provide an historical perspective of the transportation changes that have taken place. This Circular contains these two papers which present an interesting look back, as well as a thoughtful look ahead. They are: "Historical Overview of U.S. Passenger Transportation" by Lester A. Hoel, and "Transportation's Rich History and Challenging Future--Moving Goods" by Joseph M. Sussman. Another highlight of TRB's 75th Anniversary was the formation of a Transportation History Task Force. The task force will consider the appropriate role for TRB in preserving the experiences and lessons from the past.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1996-8
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 461
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Freight transportation; Future; History; Passenger transportation; Transportation
- Identifier Terms: Transportation Research Board
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; History; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00724924
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 21 1996 12:00AM