PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT AND PLANNING IN A RAPIDLY CHANGING ENVIRONMENT: STRATEGIES FOR SURVIVAL. TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH BOARD WORKSHOP, IRVINE, CALIFORNIA, JULY 27-29, 1995. SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS
The Workshop on Public Transportation Management and Planning in a Rapidly Changing Environment: Strategies for Survival was held at the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Center in Irvine, California. During approximately the first half of the workshop, a series of presentations were made relating to four primary themes that provided focus for the participants - 1) the changing transit environment, 2) uses of market research, 3) transit management issues, and 4) innovative and nontraditional strategies to provide transit service. Using the results of the presentations, the remainder of the workshop concentrated on major issues that needed to be addressed by the transit community. Through a series of breakout sessions, three major topics were discussed by the participants: Management - Converting Challenges to Opportunities; Planning - Methods to Meet Future Markets; and Funding - Responding to the New Environment: ISTEA and Beyond. This Transportation Research Board Circular contains a summary of the workshop proceedings. Following the documentation of the breakout sessions, the workshop presentations are provided, including a summary of several case studies and panel discussions associated with major topics. The Circular concludes with the workshop resource paper, "Public Transportation: Challenges and Opportunities" by Katherine F. Turnbull. A list of workshop participants is provided.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Public Transportation Management and Planning in a Rapidly Changing Environment: Strategies for Survival
- Location: Irvine, California
- Date: 1995-7-27 to 1995-7-29
- Publication Date: 1996-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 72 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 460
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Finance; Financing; Innovation; Management; Market research; Planning; Public transit; Strategic planning; Workshops
- Old TRIS Terms: Transit management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00722593
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 20 1996 12:00AM