INTRODUCTION AND REVIEW OF ROADSIDE AND MOTORWAY SERVICE AREAS
This paper examines the recent history of planning guidance with regard to roadside and motorway service areas (MSA), covering Press Notices and the Citizen's Charter and current guidance such as PPG (Planning Policy Guidance) 13 and Circular 1/94. Traffic related isssues are highlighted and a number of recent MSA planning decisions discussed. Technical aspects considered include parking standards, turn-in rates and off-line versus on-line MSAs. The paper concludes by examining the way forward for the assessement of proposed roadside and motorway service areas. For the covering abstract see IRRD 876474.
JMP CONSULTANTS LTD172 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom W1P 0NA
- BAILES, A
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Conferences; Federal government; Freeways; Planning; Policy; Roadside rest areas
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 183: Government (national); 2752: Motorway; 143: Planning; 173: Policy; 971: Service area
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00722299
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM