PPG13: MEASURES OF ACCESSIBILITY
This paper considers methods of assessing transport accessibility in relation to land use planning and expands on recent work undertaken by the TRICS consortium to develop techniques which can be more widely applied. The Dutch ABC locational policy and the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham's PTAL (Public Transport Accesibility Levels) approach are discussed and limitations identified. The TRICS consortium's approach was to recognise the scale of network coverage and assess 'potential accessibility' rather than 'access characteristic'. The method involves a comparison of the catchment population that could be reached within 45 minutes by public transport and private transport. Case studies based on Poole and Woolwich are described. For the covering abstract see IRRD 876474.
JMP CONSULTANTS LTD172 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom W1P 0NA
- McLaughlin, J
- Publication Date: 1995
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Conferences; Land use; Private transportation; Public transit; Regional planning; Transportation
- ITRD Terms: 9139: Accessibility; 8525: Conference; 356: Land use; 746: Private transport; 744: Public transport; 359: Regional planning; 1155: Transport
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00722298
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM