PPG13 ASSESSMENTS FOR SUPERSTORES
This paper considers the practical application of PPG (Planning Policy Guidance) 13 and PPG 6 to superstore planning applications based on proposals made by Sainsbury for developments in Buckinghamshire. Recent trends in lifestyle and shopping patterns are considered. The cases for town centre, edge-of-centre and out-of-centre retail development are compared in terms of reducing travel distance and emissions. Accessibility by modes of transport other than the car is examined. The impact technology may have on transport in the future is considered. The author concludes that the targetting of out-of-town superstore development by government planning guidance is counterproductive to the aims of reducing emissions. For the covering abstract see IRRD 876474.
JMP CONSULTANTS LTD172 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom W1P 0NA
- MAYER, W N
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Conferences; Federal government; Planning; Policy; Pollutants; Public transit; Shopping centers; Suburbs; Transportation
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 2442: Emission; 183: Government (national); 143: Planning; 173: Policy; 744: Public transport; 320: Shopping centre; 304: Suburbs; 311: Town centre; 1155: Transport
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00722297
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM