SETTLEMENT PATTERNS - THE CASE FOR EBBSFLEET
This paper puts forward the case for Ebbsfleet, a development proposed around the site of new station planned in Kent on the route from London to the Channel Tunnel. The developers suggest that the area could have a variety of commercial, residential, leisure and cultural facilities with a fast and efficient public transport system providing travel opportunities within and outside the local area. Studies are currently being carried out into urban design and economic, environmental and transport implications. The transport characteristics of the area at the moment are examined and show travel patterns to be dominated by the car. The new station would provide a fast service to London and the opportunity for an interchange. The need to restrain car use at an early stage is one of the challenges identified. Traffic forecasts for a number of scenarios are suggested. For the covering abstract see IRRD 876474.
JMP CONSULTANTS LTD172 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom W1P 0NA
- PENNINGTON, M
- Mitchell, K
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Conferences; Forecasting; Land use; Public transit; Railroad stations; Regional planning; Traffic restraint; Transportation; Urban development
- ITRD Terms: 8525: Conference; 132: Forecast; 356: Land use; 744: Public transport; 359: Regional planning; 1095: Station (railway); 354: Town planning; 633: Traffic restraint; 1155: Transport; 374: Urban development
- Subject Areas: Society; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00722294
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM