THE CASE FOR LARGE SETTLEMENTS
This paper puts forward the case for large settlements as opposed to smaller ones when considering the reduction of transport demand. Reasons for trips are identified and ways in which more trips can be retained within the development and the number of car trips reduced are discussed. The possibilities for improving public transport and the 'slow modes' are examined. Two examples of settlements are described. The paper concludes that new settlements have the potential to fulfill the requirements of sustainable development and that the benefits increase with the size of the settlement. For the covering abstract see IRRD 876474.
JMP CONSULTANTS LTD172 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
LONDON, United Kingdom W1P 0NA
- KELLEWAY, R C
- PORTER, P G
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycles; City planning; Conferences; Public transit; Regional planning; Size; Traffic restraint; Walking
- ITRD Terms: 1211: Bicycle; 8525: Conference; 9014: Dimension; 744: Public transport; 359: Regional planning; 354: Town planning; 633: Traffic restraint; 758: Walking
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00722292
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jun 28 1996 12:00AM