CURRENT STATE PRACTICES IN THE TRANSPORTATION-TOURISM INTERFACE
This digest presents the findings of Phase I of NCHRP Project 2-17(6), "Tourism Travel Contributions to Economic Development". This two-phase project is designed to examine and refine the institutional practices of the agencies that are counterparts in the transportation-tourism interface: state transportation agencies (DOTs) and state tourism offices (STOs). Phase I involved a series of data collection and analysis tasks structured to produce an overview of the current state of knowledge and practice in the transportation-tourism interface. The Phase I findings, along with brief discussions, are grouped according to the following three topics: (1) overall policy and institutional coordination; (2) consideration of tourism in statewide planning and programming; and (3) traveler information services. The issues identified in the research so far touch all aspects of the DOT planning process: policies, processes, procedures, and programs. Each state has its unique DOT and STO organizational structure and objectives for tourism to enhance local resources; however, as in any interagency coordination effort, common factors must be addressed.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1996-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 211
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Coordination; Data collection; Institutional issues; Interagency relations; Passenger information systems; Policy; Regional planning; State departments of transportation; State of the art studies; States; Surveys; Tourism; Transportation planning; Traveler information and communication systems
- Old TRIS Terms: State planning
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Society; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00721409
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: May 9 1996 12:00AM