LOGISTICS FOR HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TRANSPORTATION: SCHEDULING, ROUTING, AND SITING. FINAL REPORT
This report presents the results of the second year of a multi-year research project focusing on logistics problems pertaining to hazardous materials transportation. The project has involved the development of decision support systems that can improve the way we solve hazardous materials logistics problems (including those pertaining to radioactive wastes). The areas of principal concern are; shipment routing, shipment scheduling, the siting of treatment facilities, and the siting of emergency response teams. To be effective, such decision support systems must account for the following concerns: the multiple objectives associated with such decisions, such as minimizing perceived risk, cost, injuries, fatalities, environmental damage, etc.; uncertainties (probabilities of accidents, effects of exposure to the population, exposure levels for given accidents, etc.); and regulations and other restrictions and their impacts (time-of-day restrictions on the movement of some cargo, limitations on the size of cargo, allowable modes for each cargo, etc.).
- This research was sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
Marshak Hall, Suite 910, 160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY United States 10031
- List, G
- Turnquist, M
- Publication Date: 1991-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Crash exposure; Crashes; Emergencies; Environmental impacts; Facilities; Freight security; Freight transportation; Hazardous materials; Hazards; Injuries; Location; Logistics; Probability; Radioactive wastes; Regulations; Research projects; Risk assessment; Routing; Scheduling; Shipments; Studies; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Exposure; Restrictions; Safety regulations
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo movement; Hazardous materials transportation; Regulations (Hazardous materials); Transportation of hazardous materials
- Subject Areas: Law; Planning and Forecasting; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00725834
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1996 12:00AM