TRAINING TODAY'S PROFESSIONAL TO MEET TOMORROW'S TRANSPORTATION NEEDS: ISTEA AND THE MPO
The 1991 Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) and the Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA) have placed a number of new mandates on regional transportation planning and implementation, including compliance with air quality mandates, congestion mitigation, flexible funding, de-emphasis of the Single Occupant Vehicle, and the institution of six management systems. The tight deadlines for planning, the institution of State Implementation Plans and the drive to put in place Transportation Improvement Programs have created severe demands on Metropolitan Planning Organizations. To meet these complex demands, the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council has initiated a unique training program for the staffs of its constituent members. The training program was designed on the basis of an extensive staff assessment, dealing both with technical and management needs of the organizations. This paper describes the process leading to the design of the Program, summarizes the conduct of the Program and points to new training directions for the future.
- This research was sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
Marshak Hall, Suite 910, 160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY United States 10031
- Falcocchio, J C
- Paaswell, R E
- Petretta, D L
- Sparrow, R
- Publication Date: 1994-1
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Finance; Financing; Ground transportation; Implementation; Intermodal transportation; Management; Metropolitan planning organizations; Needs assessment; Regional transportation; Standards; Traffic congestion; Training programs; Transportation; Transportation planning; Vehicle occupancy
- Identifier Terms: Clean Air Act Amendments; Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
- Uncontrolled Terms: Management systems
- Geographic Terms: New York Metropolitan Area
- Old TRIS Terms: Air quality standards; Clean air act amendments 1991
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00725830
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1996 12:00AM