INTERMODAL FREIGHT OPERATIONS
This final report is divided into three sections. The first contains the authors' analysis of strategy and operations for intermodal freight transportation. As a result of this effort, an intermodal network design problem was identified. The second section of this report describes a new model for intermodal network design. Specifically, the problem involving service design for express shipment delivery utilizing both ground and air transport is considered. A subproblem embedded within this intermodal network design problem is the integer multicommodity flow problem. This problem is described and a new solution approach for the problem is detailed in the third section of the report.
- Sponsored by the New England University Transportation Center.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyCenter for Transportation Studies, Room 1121
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Barnhart, C
- Voigtlaender, C
- Kim, D
- Vance, P
- Hane, C
- Publication Date: 1995-11-1
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Containerization; Express service; Freight transportation; Ground transportation; Intermodal transportation; Mathematical models; Operations; Shipments
- Old TRIS Terms: Intermodal operations; Strategy
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Aviation; Freight Transportation; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00724555
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 9 1996 12:00AM