MASSACHUSETTS INTELLIGENT TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS/COMMERCIAL VEHICLE OPERATIONS (ITS/CVO) INSTITUTIONAL ISSUES STUDY. FINAL REPORT
This final report includes the findings of a nine month effort to explore the complexities of the commercial motor vehicle regulatory requirements and compliance activities. This study focuses on the institutional barriers preventing the application of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) technologies to streamline processes, and to create an environment of transparent borders for commercial motor vehicle operations. The report is the end result of a study that included motor carrier and interagency cooperation at the highest levels. The study effort identified strengths and weaknesses of the current regulatory and compliance enforcement systems from the perspectives of the motor carrier community and regulatory agencies within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The effort also sketches the components of promising enabling technologies, and an assessment of their benefits and costs. Lastly, recommendations are presented for next steps in enhancing agency and motor carrier safety and efficiency using advanced technology applications.
- Prepared for the Federal Highway Administration, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Bureau of Transportation Planning and Development, Executive Office of Transportation and Construction, Massachusetts Highway Department. Technical Memorandum # 5, Task 7.
ATA Foundation660 Roosevelt Avenue
Pawtucket, RI United States 02860
Massachusetts Motor Transportation Association20R A Street
B urlington, MA United States
Iowa Transportation CenterIowa State University 194 Town Engineering Building
Ames, IA United States 50011
- Publication Date: 1995-6-30
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Barriers (Roads); Benefit cost analysis; Commercial vehicles; Compliance; Cooperation; Government agencies; Institutional issues; Intelligent transportation systems; Interagency relations; Motor carriers; Motor vehicles; Operations; Recommendations; Regulation; Regulatory constraints; Technology; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation policy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Regulatory agencies
- Geographic Terms: Massachusetts
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00723605
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 30 1996 12:00AM