BUILDING ON THE PAST TRAVELING TO THE FUTURE: A PRESERVATIONIST'S GUIDE TO THE ISTEA TRANSPORTATION ENHANCEMENT PROGRAM
Under ISTEA of 1991, the historic preservation and highway communities have new opportunities such as the revitalized planning requirements and the new National Scenic Byways Program, to reaffirm existing partnerships and establish new ones. The National Trust for Historic Preservation and the FHWA prepared this booklet to describe and graphically portray some of the Transportation Enhancement projects, completed or nearly completed, and to show potential project sponsors what can be acomplished. The primary goal of the booklet is to provide a general understanding of the way the Transportation Enhancement provision within ISTEA works at both federal and state levels, and of the implementation of the provision, including its application process and project requirements. The document is both a how-to as well as an informational booklet written with a special focus on the preservation community.
Federal Highway AdministrationOffice of Environment and Planning, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1996
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Historic preservation; Scenic highways
- Identifier Terms: Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act of 1991
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation enhancement program
- Subject Areas: History; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00726784
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 28 1996 12:00AM