NASA TIRE/RUNWAY FRICTION PROJECTS
The paper reviews several aspects of NASA Langley Research Center's tire/runway friction evaluations directed towards improving the safety and economy of aircraft ground operations. The facilities and test equipment used in implementing different aircraft ground performance investigations are described together with recent workshop activities at NASA Wallops Flight Facility. An overview of the pending Joint NASA/Transport Canada/FM Winter Runway Friction Program is given. Other NASA ongoing studies and on-site field tests are discussed including tire wear performance and new surface treatments. The paper concludes with a description of future research plans.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20546
- Publication Date: 1995-6
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Aviation safety; Friction factor; Rolling contact
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft safety
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00726155
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NAS 1.15:110186,, NASA-TM-110186
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 4 1996 12:00AM