EVALUATION OF THE ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURES AND MANAGEMENT PRACTICES OF THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
In May 1993, the California Legislative Analyst's Office (LAO) selected SRI International (SRI) and supporting consultancies to evaluate the organization and management structure of the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) as directed in Senate Concurrent Resolution Number 72 (SCR72). This report presents the results of the management audit of Caltrans' organizational structure and practice and recommends specific actions to improve the department's efficiency and effectiveness. The findings of the audit are presented in two volumes. The first volume provides key recommendations, the implementation plan, and a summary of findings and recommendations. Volume II provides the details of the findings, options, and recommendations. The following issues are addressed: 1. Should a new transportation agency be formed? 2. Is the department too large and diverse to manage effectively? 3. What is the appropriate number of units within each department? 4. What is the effectiveness of the project development process within current legal constraints? 5. What is the optimum mix of consultants and in-house engineering staff? 6. What is the appropriate number of regional offices or districts? 7. What management tools would most benefit Caltrans? 8. How can implementation of recommendations be ensured? The assessment of Caltrans' performance entailed many steps: analyses of data; a literature search, including a review of prior reports, audits, and selected studies; and extensive interviews.
- Prepared for California Legislature. Volume I: Summary and Recommendations. Volume II: Detailed Findings, Options, and Recommendations.
SRI International333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025-3493
Gabriel Roche, IncorporatedOakland, CA United States
Vernazza Wolfe Associates, IncorporatedOakland, CA United States
- Bernstein, G W
- Publication Date: 1994-2
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 220 p.
- TRT Terms: Evaluation; Management; Organizations; State departments of transportation; Transportation departments
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00725960
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SRI Project 4746
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 10 1996 12:00AM