METHODOLOGY FOR OPTIMAL PLACEMENT OF PAVEMENT TEMPERATURE SENSORS
The need for developing a methodology for identifying critical locations for siting pavement temperature sensors (e.g., sites where pavement temperature is systematically lower than the rest of the surrounding locations), through out the highway network and within a roadway cross section or intersection, (i.e., network and local level respectively), was pointed out by several agencies involved in highway winter maintenance. In this study, the development of such a methodology was investigated through the use of advanced statistical techniques for temporal and spatial data, and heat transfer based pavement temperature models. The proposed methodology identifies: alternative methods for predicting pavement temperature at non instrumented locations, based on the availability or potential monitoring of meteorological and/or pavement surface temperature data; and a method for identifying critical locations where pavement surface temperature is systematically lower than the surrounding sites. With the use of this methodology it is expected that the agencies will be able to optimize the location and number of sensors for a specific region, and/or their entire highway network.
- This research was sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
University Transportation Research CenterCity College of New York
Marshak Hall, Suite 910, 160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY United States 10031
- Goulias, D G
- Publication Date: 1995-3
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Highways; Intersections; Location; Maintenance management; Mathematical models; Methodology; Monitoring; Networks; Pavements; Safety; Sensors; Surface temperature; Temperature sensors; Winter maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Building sites; Data; Maintenance costs; Models; Transportation networks
- Old TRIS Terms: Placement
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways;
- Accession Number: 00725836
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1996 12:00AM