PRIVATE PROVISION OF SPECIALIZED TRANSPORTATION FOR A PUBLIC AGENCY
In 1985, the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) issued contracts to private bus companies for the provision of paratransit service to the disabled. Previously, CTA had been providing the service with its own vehicles and personnel. However, rapidly escalating costs and the inability to meet the growing level of demand necessitated CTA searching for a more cost effective and productive way to provide service. In early 1987, after more than a year into the contract with four private agencies, a review of service was necessary. The service providers, the CTA, and the customer all felt that improvements were necessary. The customer still complained of poor on time performance, difficulty in scheduling, and some insensitive drivers. The CTA wanted improvements in record keeping, quality of service, and reliability of operations. The service providers wanted more administrative support from CTA, assistance in getting vehicle permits, additional sensitivity training, and access to greater computer support. The Executive Director believed that the initial contract did not have enough teeth in it to require the level of quality required from such a service. He also believed that there were legitimate points of contention stated by both CTA and the providers. To resolve these conflicts and improve service he set up a mediation process between the two sides. In addition, he had the CTA develop incentives and penalties for performance and made these the basis for new contract negotiations.
- This research was sponsored by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
University Transportation Research CenterCity College of New York
Marshak Hall, Suite 910, 160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY United States 10031
- Paaswell, R E
- Publication Date: 1992-6
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Contracts; Cost effectiveness; Customer service; Improvements; Incentives; Labor negotiations; Level of service; Paratransit services; Penalties; Performance; Persons with disabilities; Private enterprise; Productivity; Reliability; Transit operating agencies; Transportation
- Identifier Terms: Chicago Transit Authority
- Old TRIS Terms: Disabled people
- Subject Areas: Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00725824
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1996 12:00AM