RESEARCH CONCERNING THE ANALYSIS OF CONGESTION MANAGEMENT AND AIR QUALITY TRANSPORTATION IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS. INTERIM REPORT
Documented analysis procedures of travel and emission impacts of Congestion Mitigation/Air Quality (CM/AQ) Improvement Program projects are required by the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA). The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) realized a need to assist Texas metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) with their analysis of CM/AQ projects. A search of the current literature and telephone surveys with FHWA personnel was conducted to assess what procedures were available for use in Texas, and to determine what procedures were in use around the nation. Through the span of this project, the importance of vehicle emissions associated with the vehicle's operating mode became increasingly important from results of research work sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Several analysis examples of transportation projects are presented. Discussions of their expected versus evaluated benefits and potential impact of vehicle operating emissions on analysis techniques are given in the report. The report concludes with several caveats detailing findings and aspects of analysis discussed in this report.
- Research study title: Congestion Management and Air Quality Benefits of Transportation Improvements.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Crawford, J A
- Middleton, M D
- Walters, C H
- Publication Date: 1995-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Benefits; Data collection; Guides to the literature; Improvements; Literature reviews; Methodology; Metropolitan planning organizations; Pollutants; Project management; Sketch planning; Surveys; Traffic congestion; Traffic mitigation; Vehicle operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mitigation; Projects; Vehicle operating modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Project analysis; Sketch planning techniques
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00725572
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-96/1358-2, Res Rept 1358-2F, TTI: 0-1358
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1358
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 13 2001 12:00AM