TRAFFIC CIRCULATION STUDY AND LONG-RANGE PLAN FOR DEL RIO. INTERIM REPORT
A 1992 report to Congress, pursuant to Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) sections 1089 and 6015, acknowledges that Texas serves a disproportionate share of U.S.-Mexico international trade. It consequently recommends the development of federal-aid program options to improve transportation infrastructure related to international trade. In order to take advantage of this recommendation, however, border states must monitor their transborder traffic demand and, moreover, must develop traffic circulation plans for their border cities. Thus, this report presents a 25-year traffic circulation plan for the City of Del Rio, Texas. The plan includes recommendations for increasing roadway capacity, adding left turn lanes, building new routes to relieve congestion, and adding international thoroughfares. It also includes a comprehensive analysis of transborder traffic in Del Rio, as well as of international thoroughfares between Ciudad Acuna and Del Rio. The recommendations take into account input from Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) personnel, city officials, border inspectors, international bridge managers, and several Mexican officials. The recommendations and schedules discussed in this document can assist TxDOT in planning land transport infrastructure, and in alleviating problems associated with additional highway capacity, pavement rehabilitation, signalization, and right-of-way needs.
- Research study title: Traffic Circulation Study and Long-Range Plan for Del Rio and Eagle Pass.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
- Weissmann, A J
- Islam, R
- Publication Date: 1996-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway capacity; Highway planning; Infrastructure; International borders; International trade; Left turn lanes; Traffic
- Identifier Terms: North American Free Trade Agreement
- Geographic Terms: Del Rio (Texas); Texas-Mexico Border region
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic planning; Transborder traffic circulation
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Security and Emergencies; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00725504
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-96/2940-2, Res Rept 2940-2, CTR 7-2940-2
- Contract Numbers: Study 7-2940
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 3 1996 12:00AM