TEST METHODS FOR ELASTOMERIC BEARINGS ON BRIDGES. INTERIM REPORT
This report discusses the material properties of elastomers for bridge bearings and the factors that influence these properties. The development of the AASHTO specifications between 1961 and 1992 on elastomeric bearings are also summarized. In addition, various sizes of bonded natural rubber blocks were tested in compression, tension, shear, and combined compression and shear. Load deformation relationships were obtained from all tests and mechanical properties of compressive modulus, tensile modulus, and shear modulus were calculated. Test results indicated that specimen size affects the material properties of an elastomer. Furthermore, the measured shear modulus values were not affected by various levels of compressive stress. The ASTM quad shear test for shear modulus of elastomeric material in bridge bearings was evaluated by comparing the shear modulus from the ASTM test method with the results of full-size bearings manufactured from the same material. The comparison showed that the ASTM test can give significantly different results from the full-size tests; the difference depends on the size of the quad shear test specimen, the method of attachment and testing the full-size specimen, and the method of determining the shear modulus from the quad shear test. The ASTM quad shear test gave poor correlation with the full-size test when high hardness materials were used.
- Research study title: Elastomeric Bearings.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Arditzoglou, Y J
- Yura, J A
- Haines, A H
- Publication Date: 1995-11
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge bearings; Elastomers; Neoprene; Properties of materials; Rubber; Shear modulus; Size; Specifications; Specimens; Test procedures
- Old TRIS Terms: Full scale specimens; Test results
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00725502
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-96/1304-2, Res Rept 1304-2, CTR 0-1304-2
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1304
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 3 1996 12:00AM