ACCESSIBLE CHARTER AND TOUR COACH DEVELOPMENT PROJECT
This project had the purpose of educating intercity coach operators and their staff and to improve the overall accessibility of intercity coaches to persons with disabilities. This 2-volume report presents the results of the project, beginning with a survey of the North American charter coach industry and a review of disability and coach travel. The report then examines the requirements of coach users who are disabled and develops design alternatives to enhance the accessibility of coach transportation. Proposals are offered to implement design developments such as accessible seats, low-riser boarding systems, and safety features. The report also reviews research and demonstration projects in the field of accessible charter coach services and assesses future developments. The appendixes include summaries of comments from user panel groups, a training program for coach drivers and attendants serving persons with disabilities, and a coach design portfolio.
B. Clark Associates LimitedVictoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Publication Date: 1995
- Pagination: 257 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Buses; Charter operations; Design; Persons with disabilities; Special user groups; Transit buses; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design features
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus design; Disabled people
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Public Transportation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00725016
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1996 12:00AM