OVERWEIGHT PERMIT RULES. FINAL REPORT
This document defines standards for issuing permits for overweight vehicles crossing standard H-type and HS-type Texas highway bridges. A general formula and a bridge specific formula were developed for simple spans of both bridge types. Several reinforced concrete continuous span slab bridges were then evaluated according to the proposed criteria to ensure the validity of the proposed formulae for continuous spans as well as simple spans. The general formula limits the axle group weight according to only the "X" rating and the vehicle dimensions, while the bridge specific formulae also include the span length. Currently, the vehicle dimensions are the only criteria used by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to determine whether or not an overweight permit will be issued. The proposed restrictions allow only one permit vehicle on the bridge at a time and ensure that the maximum stress does not exceed the operational stress level. In addition to determining the maximum weight which may be safely carried by a given axle configuration over either a specific bridge or an unknown bridge, the proposed formulae may also yield the "X" rating for any specific truck. Being able to quickly convert any truck to an equivalent HX or HSX rating will greatly simplify and increase the accuracy of the permitting process.
- Published November 1994; revised June 1995. Research study title: Overweight Permit Rules.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Keating, P B
- Litchfield, S C
- Zhou, MengChu
- Publication Date: 1995-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 102 p.
- TRT Terms: Formulas; Highway bridges; Load limits; Oversize loads; Overweight loads; Permits
- Uncontrolled Terms: Overloads; Restrictions
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00724984
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-94/1443-1F, Res Rept 1443-1F, TTI: 0-1443
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1443
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1996 12:00AM