AN EVALUATION OF HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES IN TEXAS, 1994. INTERIM REPORT
This report evaluates the operation of freeway high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in Texas through calendar year 1994. As of the end of 1994, HOV lanes were in operation on the five following Houston freeways: 1) Katy Freeway (I-10W); 2) North Freeway (I-45N); 3) Northwest Freeway (U.S. 290); 4) Gulf Freeway (I-45S); and 5) Southwest Freeway (U.S. 59S). The only HOV facility in operation in Dallas as of the end of 1994 was on the East R. L. Thornton Freeway (I-30E). This research report provides an analysis of data related to the 1) operation of the HOV lanes; 2) operation of the freeway mainlanes; 3) combined HOV lane and freeway data; and 4) data relating to transit usage and operations. Both a "before" and "after" trendline analysis (where applicable) and a comparison to control freeways are used as a means of assessing the impacts of the HOV facilities. As of December 1994, 102.4 km (63.6 mi) of barrier-separated HOV facilities were in operation in Houston, while 8.4 km (5.2 mi) were in operation in Dallas. Approximately 76,000 daily person trips are served on the Houston HOV lane system. Sixty-four percent of total person trips on the Houston HOV lanes are being served by carpools and vanpools, with the remaining 36% being served by buses. The East R. L. Thornton HOV lane in Dallas serves approximately 13,000 daily person trips. Sixty-five percent of these trips are being served by carpools and vanpools, with the remaining 35% being served by buses.
- Research study title: An Evaluation of High-Occupancy Vehicle Projects in Texas.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Henk, R H
- Morris, D E
- Christiansen, D L
- Publication Date: 1995-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 282 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Before and after studies; Bus transit; Carpools; Cost effectiveness; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Measures of effectiveness; Public relations; Vanpools
- Uncontrolled Terms: Public support
- Geographic Terms: Dallas (Texas); Houston (Texas)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00724979
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-96/1353-3, Res Rept 1353-3, TTI: 0-1353
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1353
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 1996 12:00AM