LOCATION AND AVAILABILITY OF WASTE AND RECYCLED MATERIALS IN TEXAS AND EVALUATION OF THEIR UTILIZATION POTENTIAL IN ROADBASE. INTERIM REPORT
This report summarizes the results of a literature search conducted to determine engineering applications of various waste and recycled materials (WRMs). The results of a material availability and location survey conducted to determine the availability of WRMs within the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) are also presented. Information of interest included the location, type, and quantity of WRMs present. Technical laboratory studies that have been used in the past to evaluate WRMs fail to take into account the socioeconomic and environmental benefits of using these materials. To overcome this problem, a WRM evaluation method was developed that considers the socioeconomic and environmental benefits in addition to the technical and economic aspects when evaluating WRMs for various engineering applications. An initial screening method was also incorporated to screen out materials having low or no utilization potential. Only those materials showing high potential will be subjected to extensive technical studies.
- Research study title: Recycled Materials in Roadbase, Except Glass.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Saeed, A
- Hudson, W R
- Anaejionu, P
- Publication Date: 1995-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Applications; Base course (Pavements); Benefits; Bottom ash; Data collection; Economic factors; Economic impacts; Environmental impacts; Fly ash; Guides to the literature; Literature reviews; Location; Materials selection; Pavements; Recycled materials; Recycling; Rubble; Slag; Socioeconomic factors; Solid wastes; State departments of transportation; Supply; Surveys; Tires; Utilization; Wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Application (Use); Availability; Scrap tires
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials evaluation; Recycled pavements
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements; Research; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I35: Miscellaneous Materials;
- Accession Number: 00724952
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TXDOT-96/1348-1, Res Rept 1348-1, CTR 1348-1
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1348
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 26 1996 12:00AM