EXECUTIVE SUMMARY REPORT ON THE PRODUCTION OF THE PROTOTYPE TEXAS MOBILE LOAD SIMULATOR
This report summarizes the 5-year development of the prototype Texas Mobile Load Simulator (TxMLS). As described in this executive summary, the project went through various phases, from conceptual design and manufacture, to commissioning and acceptance testing. The project was a collaborative effort of the Center for Transportation Research, VMW Industries (the manufacturer), and the end-users, represented by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT). It required committed support from the executive MLS Management Committee of TxDOT in order to achieve the successful completion of the project. Only through this support was it possible to upgrade the machine as and when it became necessary. The report discusses these efforts as well as some of the innovative achievements. The acceptance testing stretched over a period of one year. During this time, the MLS was upgraded and the methodology for using the machine developed. This effort provided the basis for the development of guidelines for operating the machine, as well as for the selection of test sites and for testing operations at field locations.
- Research study title: Texas Mobile Load Simulator Implementation Assistance.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
- Hugo, F
- Publication Date: 1996-3
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Acceptance tests; Development; Field tests; Load tests; Pavements; Portable equipment; Prototypes; Research; Simulation; Structural tests; Training simulators
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mobile equipment; Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement tests
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; Pavements; Research; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00724948
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-96/1978-2F, Res Rept 1978-2F, CTR 7-1978-2F
- Contract Numbers: Study 7-1978
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 26 1996 12:00AM