SURVEY RESULTS OF AVIATION ACTIVITY AT NORTH DAKOTA AIRPORTS
North Dakota's rural air transportation system is a vital part of the state's economic infrastructure. It provides air transportation, jobs and services to the local economy, and so facilitates economic development. North Dakota's rural aviation community includes aircraft owners, aerial applicators, fixed-base operators, users of general aviation, and airport managers. A survey was conducted to determine what issues faced rural aviation in North Dakota today. It was sent to airport managers at all 100 public airports in the state. The objectives of the survey were to: collect data from aviation experts around the state; identify issues critical to North Dakota's rural aviation community; develop proposals to address those issues; maintain a database for further study; and assist aviation policymakers in developing programs important to the state's aviation community. The survey gathered information about demographics, airport services, community support, environmental impacts of airports and aircraft, and the concerns of airport managers. The airport managers identified the following concerns: lack of operating funds; financial contributions from local government; the high cost of owning an aircraft; and operating liability. This report details the results of the survey.
- Prepared in cooperation with the North Dakota Aeronautics Commission, Bismarck, North Dakota. Rural and Small Aviation Research Program.
Upper Great Plains Transportation InstituteNorth Dakota State University
1320 Albrecht Blvd
Fargo, ND United States 58105
- Aziz, R A
- Benson, D
- Publication Date: 1990-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Aircraft by ownership; Airports; Aviation; Communities; Costs; Data collection; Demographics; Economic development; Environmental impacts; Jobs; Level of service; Liability; Operating costs; Public relations; Rural areas; Surveys
- Uncontrolled Terms: Activity; Community support; Services
- Geographic Terms: North Dakota
- Old TRIS Terms: Airport managers
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Environment; Finance; Law; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00724585
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UGPTI Pub. No. 109
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 16 1996 12:00AM