NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND METHODOLOGIES FOR EVALUATING AND ANALYZING THE IMPLICATIONS OF VARIOUS NEW TRANSPORTATION OBJECTIVES
This research presents a new approach that attempts to explicitly incorporate multiple transportation objectives into the dynamic traffic assignment/simulation model. The dynamic traffic assignment/simulation method, instead of the static traffic assignment method, is selected in the proposed approach in order to correctly identify the time series of vehicle's modal events, and therefore to more accurately estimate the impacts of alternative traffic and control scenarios on various travel time and environmental factors. Since the research proposes a set of new environmentally based traffic assignment principles, the dynamic traffic loading can therefore be explicitly environmentally based. Consider a real traffic network where the drivers strive to select the paths for travel. Most drivers are unlikely, in reality, to choose the paths based on explicit environmental considerations. With the applications and the deployment of Advanced Traveler Information Systems and Road Congestion Pricing mechanisms, however, the traffic routing which is strictly based on a selected environmental objective is not unrealistic in the foreseeable future.
- Supported by a grant from the Office of the Governor of the State of Texas, Energy Office.
Texas Southern University, HoustonCenter for Transportation Training and Research, 3100 Cleburne Avenue
Houston, TX United States 77004
- Yu, L
- Lede, N
- Publication Date: 1996-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamic models; Environmental impacts; Environmental protection; Environmental quality; Mathematical models; Passenger information systems; Road pricing; Simulation; Strategic planning; Technology; Traffic assignment; Traffic congestion; Traffic control; Transportation; Travel time; Traveler information and communication systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal events
- Subject Areas: Environment; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00724568
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: SWUTC/96/466060-1
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Aug 13 1996 12:00AM