AN INTRODUCTION TO RAILROAD CROSSING TECHNOLOGY AND SAFETY
This study discusses the alternative treatments of rail-highway crossings available to the Florida Department of Transportation and other transportation agencies and the policy and operating issues related to such treatments. The topics include crossing treatments, ranging from grade crossings to grade separations; grade crossing technology used to warn motorists of the presence of trains and to control vehicular traffic in the vicinity of such crossings; policy issues surrounding the choice of crossing treatments and technology in Florida; and finally, conclusions and recommendations for further inquiry.
University of South Florida, TampaCenter for Urban Transportation Research, 4202 East Fowler Avenue
Tampa, FL United States 33620-5375
- Jones, F R
- Stasiak, R T
- Publication Date: 1996-6
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Grade crossing protection systems; Grade separations; Highway safety; Policy; Railroad grade crossings; Technology; Traffic control devices; Warning devices; Warning signals
- Old TRIS Terms: At-grade crossing; Crossing closure
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00724535
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 7 1996 12:00AM