PCC AIRFIELD PAVEMENT RESPONSE DURING THAW-WEAKENING PERIODS: A FIELD STUDY
This investigation is part of the Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory's (CRREL) on-going characterization of pavement performance in seasonal frost areas. As part of the research, CRREL conducted several field studies for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on the response of airport pavements during thaw-weakening periods at three civil airports in Wisconsin, where the design freezing index in the area was around 900 to 1100 Celsius degree-days and frost penetration ranged between 1250 to 2000 mm. This study focused on the performance of Portland Cement Concrete (PCC) pavements during the spring thaw-weakening period. The sites were instrumented with subsurface thermocouples and Falling Weight Deflectometer (FWD) tests were conducted during the spring thaw period at the center of the slab and across the joints. An analysis of the FWD data and backcalculation of the layer moduli using ILLIBACK and WESDEF was conducted. Unique relationships between the FWD deflections and the subgrade modulus and coefficient of subgrade reaction were obtained. Additional relationships were developed using the FWD deflections, PCC thickness and the horizontal tensile stress at the bottom of the PCC layer. A relationship between load transfer across joints and FWD deflections was also developed. On the basis of the relationships obtained in this study, a methodology for evaluating PCC pavements during spring thaw was developed.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
- Prepared for the Federal Aviation Administration and the Office of Chief Engineers. Funding numbers PR: 4A762784AT42, MA: BS, WU: BS/036.
Hanover, NH United States 03755-1290
- Janoo, V C
- Berg, R L
- Publication Date: 1996-5
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Backcalculation; Coefficient of subgrade reaction; Falling weight deflectometers; Load transfer; Pavement joints; Pavements; Portland cement concrete; Stiffness; Strength of materials; Stresses; Tension; Thaw; Thickness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pavement thickness; Responses; Tensile stress; Thaw weakening
- Old TRIS Terms: Horizontal stresses
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I26: Water Run-off - Freeze-thaw;
- Accession Number: 00724523
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Special Report 96-12
- Files: NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 5 1996 12:00AM