IMPROVED SEISMIC DESIGN CRITERIA FOR CALIFORNIA BRIDGES: PROVISIONAL RECOMMENDATIONS
This report recommends revisions to the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) seismic design standards, performance criteria, specifications and practices. It is based on recent research in the field of bridge seismic design and the performance of Caltrans designed bridges in the 1989 Loma Prieta and other recent California earthquakes. Specifically, the report provides recommended revisions to Caltrans current Bridge Design Specifications (BDS) pertaining to seismic loading, structural response analysis, and component design. Special attention is given to design issues related to reinforced concrete components, steel components, foundations, and conventional bearings.
- Funded by the California Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 942874, Sacramento, CA 94274-0001; M. Sultan, Contract Manager.
Applied Technology Council555 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 550
Redwood City, CA United States 94065
- Nutt, R V
- Publication Date: 1996-6-30
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 228 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bearings; Bridge design; Bridges; Components; Earthquake resistant design; Foundations; Loads; Reinforced concrete; Specifications; Standards; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural mechanics; Structural steel
- Uncontrolled Terms: Loading; Structural response
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Foundations (Structures)
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Highways; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00724520
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ATC-32, Final Report
- Contract Numbers: 59N203
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 5 1996 12:00AM