INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORT IN EUROPE. AN ANALYSIS OF MAJOR TRAFFIC FLOWS IN CORRIDORS
The report presents some experience gained in using intermodal approaches to traffic flows in Europe. Three transport corridors were identified, in which the intermodal approach had been tested: (1) between Scandinavia and Southern Europe; (2) between France and the Iberian Peninsula and Morocco; and (3) along the TransEuropean North-South Motorway (TEM). The traffic flows on each of these corridors were analysed. For each corridor, the work focused on an analysis of the available databases; an intermodal assessment, and an analysis of traffic developments. The analyses varied in depth for the different corridors, because of constraints like data and resource availability. The traffic analyses aimed to re-examine existing and future traffic problems in Europe, analyse bottlenecks and obstacles in traffic flows, and look for possibilities in the transport system to create the basis for a free exchange of goods and people. Detailed tables are given of traffic flows in the three corridors. The intermodal approach focused on: (1) traffic analysis; (2) modal splits for passenger travel and goods transport; (3) route choice; and (4) traffic assignment modelling. The development of traffic is also discussed. The Annex's maps show road and rail traffic volumes in the three corridors.
United NationsUnited Nations Plaza
New York, NY United States 10017
- Publication Date: 1992
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Bottlenecks; Data banks; Freight transportation; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transportation; Itinerary; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Modal split; Trade; Traffic assignment; Traffic flow; Transfer points; Transportation corridors
- Uncontrolled Terms: Selection
- Geographic Terms: Europe
- ITRD Terms: 6471: Analysis (math); 630: Bottleneck; 1116: Corridor (transp); 8614: Database; 8034: Europe; 741: Goods traffic; 1121: Intermodal transport (freight); 699: Itinerary; 6473: Mathematical model; 675: Modal split; 9072: Selection; 330: Trade; 679: Traffic assignment; 671: Traffic flow; 1185: Transport interchange (passengers)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00724184
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Aug 19 1996 12:00AM