A LABORATORY EVALUATION OF TUNGSTEN CARBIDE INSERTS FOR SNOWPLOW BLADES. FINAL REPORT
Tungsten carbide used in snowplow blades was studied from three manufacturers. The carbides were measured for common industry properties including specific gravity and hardness. In addition, an abrasion resistance was performed. There was no significant difference found in abrasion resistance between the Kenametal and the Valk carbides. The Bucyrus carbides showed improved abrasion resistance, but were outside industry specifications for specific gravity.
- Record URL:
Ames, IA United States 50010
- Younkin, K
- Publication Date: 1996-4
- Features: Tables;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Abrasion resistance; Blades (Machinery); Carbides; Hardness; Laboratory tests; Snowplows; Specific gravity; Tungsten
- Old TRIS Terms: Tungsten carbide
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment; I34: Steels and Metals; I62: Winter Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 00723815
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: MLR-95-6
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 12 1996 12:00AM