CONGESTION CONTROL AND DEMAND MANAGEMENT
This study was carried out by an OECD Scientific Expert Group. Its aim was to share information between member countries on road congestion counter measures. It reviews policies as well as conventional and innovative measures applied to solve congestion problems. Chapter 1 describes the current background of congestion problems which are becoming more and more severe. The necessity to apply demand or supply measures is highlighted. The report identifies the factors on which these measures can act. Chapter 2 presents a detailed catalog of congestion management measures presented in nine sections, each representing a particular strategy class: land use and zoning; telecommunications substitutes; traveller information services; economic measures; administrative measures; road traffic operations; preferential treatment; public transportation operations; and, freight movements. Chapter 3 reviews existing policies, plans and programs for an effective implementation of congestion management measures. It is illustrated by several concrete case studies. Chapter 4 deals with the future of congestion management and with the influence of new policies and technologies. Finally, chapter 5 presents the conclusions and recommendations of the Expert Group. This report offers a large source of information for policy makers and administrators responsible for congestion management and will assist countries and cities in their efforts of implementing relevant measures to solve their specific road congestion problems.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9264143157
- Report prepared by an OECD Scientific Expert Group.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)2, rue André Pascal
Paris, France 75775 Paris Cedex 16
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 139 p.
- TRT Terms: Car pooling (Railroads); Carpools; Congestion management systems; Land use; Peak periods; Public transit; Road pricing; Traffic control; Work trips
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00723631
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 9264143157
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 10 1996 12:00AM